PlayStation 5 is the newest installment of the Sony gaming lineup. It is costly these days, and it has been for the past year because of the supply chain problems created by the pandemic. Things seem to get better, and I think it will be available in stores again very soon. This new iteration of PlayStation is equipped with the best processor and GPU of this generation and a top-tier hefty cooling system, but why do we hear that the PlayStation 5 is heating up after a few hours of play? Let’s dig deep and discover what causes the PS5 overheating issues and how they can be resolved.
YOU CAN READ LATEST UPDATES AND WEBSITE REVIEWS ON NEWSDUSTBIN
Why does my PS5 keep overheating?
PlayStation 5 could be overheating for several reasons, but one rule that generally applies to all gadgets is that intense usage and low ventilation can render any device hot and unusable. So the first thing that users need to keep in mind is that they should put the PlayStation 5 in the right environment and make sure the AC is turned on if they live in hotter parts of the world.
Assuming your PlayStation 5 arrived in one piece and it doesn’t have any factory defects, these are the most probable reasons why your pa5 console is heating up:
- Your PlayStation 5 is placed on a carpet, a couch, or someplace soft where the vents of the console are being blocked by something. This is a big no-no because when the vents are covered, they need to work extra hard and, in return, consume more energy which dissipates more heat. This way, the fans gather dirt fast, which will cause more overheating issues in the long run.
- Your PlayStation 5 is placed next to other significant heat-generating devices, which are also blocking its airflow. This console needs breathing space, so avoid putting them in confined places like cabinets.
- You are using a vacuum to clean the vents of your PlayStation, which damages the fans by creating an electrical field inside the console.
- You are playing demanding games like Cyberpunk 2022 for far too long. These consoles are designed for gaming, but playing games for over 8 hours will cause any device to heat up, so it’s best to play in moderation for the health of the console and the user as well.
- If you have been using your console for a while, it is quite possible that your console has gathered too much dust and debris inside and needs servicing.
Overheating is a serious issue that should be addressed as soon as you notice it before it damages any of the hardware components inside.
Dangers of Overheating:
Overheating is bad for any device but especially for consoles used so frequently and are the primary media machines in most households today. CNET has done some tests on the console, and they say that PlayStation 5 can play most demanding games and stay under 35.1 degrees Celsius; however, the RAM (Random Access Memory) of the console reaches the temperature of 92 degrees sometimes, which is close to the maximum threshold of 105C most electronic pieces have.
This is still normal and not alarming by any means; if the processor and the GPU also reach this temperature, that’s when we will see performance issues and might even see a message to shut the console down for a bit and let it cool off. When the console overheats, a message is displayed to the user that says, “PS5 is too hot. Turn off your PS5, and wait until the temperature goes down.”
A PS5 overheating is dangerous, and after a certain threshold, it can seriously damage the device. Extreme heat can permanently damage internal components like CPU, GPU, RAM, or the SSD storage drive.
There is a built-in protection feature in the console, and it is called throttling. That means that if the console is consistently running at high temperatures and the user is not shutting it down, the system will automatically reduce the performance of the internal components to last a while longer. That will result in jittery performance, and it might even freeze in the middle of a gaming session which is not pleasing to anyone.
How to tell if ps5 is overheating?
- The most obvious sign is that the console displays an error message saying, “Your PS5 is too hot.” Usually, after an announcement like this, the console will run as it was. Still, if the console shuts down right after the message, the heating issue is serious as the console can’t continue to function at that temperature.
- The PS5 fan is too loud; it sounds like a jet is taking off when you turn it on. It can make other weird sounds, so keep your ears open for that.
- Suppose you don’t get the messages above and can’t hear the sound of the fans because of headphones. In that case, one other way of identifying heating issues is that the frame rate of games will drop if a game was running on 60 FPS before, it will drop down to 30, and you will notice the difference.
- You will notice a difference in graphics, and if you do, that means it is overheating.
- Lastly, if you touch the console and it is flaming hot, it is way hotter inside, and it’s best to shut it down and investigate what is causing the overheating.
How to stop ps5 from overheating?
Heat is generally bad for all devices, and if you keep them cool, they will last longer. So I am listing a few tips you can follow to keep your PS5 cool as a cucumber.
Here are some tips you can follow:
- Give you PlayStation breathing space, meaning put it 4 inches away from the wall in an open space.
- Place it on a hard surface like wood, stone, or even marble to keep it cool, and make sure the vents are facing back if you place it vertically or horizontally.
- If you live in warm weather, make sure the AC is turned on, and the room is excellent when you start using it.
- Do not place anything on the console like clothes, toys, etc. Ensure it is in an open space, and the airflow is not hindered.
- Regularly clean the area around the console so that the dust won’twon’t go in.
- Use a microfiber cloth to service your console, and make sure the console is turned off when servicing it.
- Please keep your pets away from the console as their fur can get inside and clog the fans, which will cause heating issues fast.
PlayStation 5 is a top-tier gaming console; it is powerful, but it is expensive, so when you get to own one, make sure you take care of it to provide you with entertainment for many years to come.